Saturday, April 25, 2009

Expecting Success

Pete Rose was being interviewed during spring training in the year he was about to break Ty Cobb’s all time hits record. One reporter blurted out, “Pete, you only need 78 hits to break the record. How many at-bats do you think you’ll need to get the 78 hits?” Without hesitation, Rose just stared at the reporter and very matter-of-factly said, “78.” The reporter yelled back, “Ah, come on Pete, you don’t expect to get 78 hits in 78 at-bats do you?” Rose calmly replied, “Every time I step up to the plate, I expect to get a hit. If I don’t expect to get a hit, I have no right to step in the batter’s box in the first place. If I go up hoping to get a hit, then I probably don’t have a prayer to get a hit. It is a positive expectation that has gotten me all of the hits in the first place.”

No comments: