Friday, November 17, 2017

Life’s a Journey Not a Race (part deux)

by Coach Mike

Last month I touched on how this past year I started this thing I called “project me”. I wanted to expand upon this journey that I have been on as it may give some of you reading the courage to be the change you wish to see in the world as well.

Over the years I have learned to start with myself if things don’t go the way I want them to. This past year I have pondered some questions; just thinking about life, what I want to be doing, what means the most to me, why do I do things, am I being true to myself, etc…Being honest with myself and in answering these questions I noticed I lost my way.

When I took the head coaching job here over ten years ago I set a goal for myself to make BLUE WAVE into one of the best teams in Potomac Valley Swimming. I associated being the best with performance and results. If we didn’t get these results it meant that I was a bad head coach and not good enough. The thing is though I didn’t get into coaching for the performances and results, I got into it to inspire kids to be greater than they believed they could be in life.

Through the answers I was uncovering, I noticed that I my actions were not in sync with who I am. I was not living with integrity. My outside world was mirroring my frustrations and internal conflict. My ego was calling the shots and because I saw top end coaches over the years use fear, anger and negativity to produce top results I allowed myself to get caught up in that approach. That approach, however, was horrible for me and it took me four or five years to really see it.

How did I become aware of all this?

It started with mediating and learning to be present. Meditation helped me to start recognizing my thoughts and like an onion, I started peeling away the layers each day to find the best version of me. In addition, I found a Life Coach, she helped me learn that my conscious decisions were not in line with my subconscious and my actions did not line up with who I truly am, or what I will refer to as my soul. She helped me to start recognizing the excuses I make for myself and conversely come up with ways to break through them. It is difficult work and I still have a long way to go but my vision is becoming clearer.

A story to convey this was at this year’s travel meet to VA Tech which I had to unexpectedly attend. I was on the deck for every session, putting in three 15-hour days which included prep and travel on Friday, three meet sessions on Saturday and two on Sunday with traveling back home with a bus full of energized kids. You might think I would have been exhausted, but I wasn’t. I had energy that I hadn’t felt in a long time. This meet, in ways I can’t explain, was this calm of being able to have meaningful conversations with the swimmers and just enjoy leading those that would come up to me. I felt connected which has been my worry over the past few years, and I just had fun coaching them.

During “project me” I learned that I need to stay true to my approach to coaching or what I am referring to as my coaching soul. In the past I let ego and results get to me too much, and it took away my joy in coaching. While I am competitive and hate to lose, it’s not why I am in this sport. I do this job because I want to help improve people’s lives. I want to have a positive influence on these athletes and inspire as many people as I can to reach higher, believe in themselves more, and remember to enjoy life along the way. Swimming to me is the ultimate vehicle to teach life lessons, but my true passions are the athletes and leading them to a great life ahead by learning incredible life lessons through swimming.

I still have more layers to work on but a good way to describe where I am right now, being at peace. As I read somewhere; PEACE. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, conflict or hard work. It means to be amid those things and still be calm in your heart.

Life is a journey and not a race. Enjoy every moment and strive to be the best version of you every day.

BLUE WAVE ON 3…BLUE WAVE ON 3…1...2…3

GO BLUE WAVE!

FAMILY – DEDICATION – MENTAL TOUGHNESS

No comments: